Monday, February 9, 2009

Baked Beef Stew

Posted by Picasa

I believe I got this recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook. This is my favorite beef stew recipe ever. The ingredients that make it so good (in my opinion) are the tapioca and the peas. The peas actually make it sweeter. You could probably easily do it in the slow cooker, although I just never have.

Ingredients:
1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup beef broth
3 tbs quick-cooking tapioca
2 tsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp pepper
2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 small red (or any) potatoes, quartered
4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, broth, tapioca, sugar, seasoned salt, marjoram and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes. Add the meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bread crumbs.

Pour into two greased 9x13 inch baking dishes. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; stir in peas. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Makes 5-8 servings.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

That does sound good. I think I will try it. Looks better then the standard stew.

Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails