Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cornbread Recipes

I really like cornbread, so I thought I'd post three of my favorite cornbread recipes. They're all quite different from each other. You don't have to bake your cornbread in the oven. I make my cornbread in the bread maker sometimes and it works great. You can also just pour the batter on top of your chili in the crockpot and it will cook in there. So easy!

Golden Sweet Cornbread
My family told me this is the best cornbread they've ever had. (Christi- this is the cornbread we brought your family-- sorry it's taken me so long to post the recipe!) This is a recipe from allrecipes.com, but I've made some changes to it, based on the reviews.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup (+ 1 tbsp) vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Homesteader Cornbread
This cornbread is possibly my favorite. It is from allrecipes.com as well.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.

Rebeca's Cornbread
I got this recipe from my friend, Rebeca. It takes a little planning ahead, but is very light and fluffy.

Place in a blender:
1 cup buttermilk, sour milk or kefir
1/4 cup melted butter or oil (or 2 tbsp of each)
3 tbsp honey
2/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup brown rice

In blender, blend on high speed until the rice is ground fine. Let batter stand in blender overnight or at least 7 hours. Letting it stand longer is supposed to help make the whole grains more digestible.

Add:
2 eggs and blend

Mix in thoroughly, but briefly:
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Pour batter immediately into a greased 8 or 9 inch pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

6Greenstogether said...

Oh yay! Thank you for the recipes! Our family LOVES cornbread, and I know that I will definitely make your recipe that you brought to our house! YAY!

Related Posts with Thumbnails