Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Our Financial Journey - Part 1

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.


I'm starting a series of posts about my family's financial journey over the past 12 years that we've been married. We're not perfect, but I believe God is faithful, even when we make mistakes and get off-course. He's there to pick us back up, dust us off, and help us get back on the right path, even if we don't know exactly where that path is headed. Our job is to trust Him and to follow Him. I know He's not done with us, as we are still on the journey. Check back to read future posts about our financial journey and what God has done in our lives. And maybe it will help you in some way as you travel along on your own path.


Here is our story...

When my husband & I first got married, we had over $20,000 in debt (mostly his, but I'll take credit for a little of it too, I guess)- student loans, a car payment, credit cards... it all added up. Our goal was for me to be able to stay at home once we began having children. This is something that was important to us, even from the beginning of our marriage.

So for the next 2 1/2 years, I worked full time in the accounting dept at an adoption agency, & every penny of my paycheck went towards reducing the debt. I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with, but I really wanted to be a full-time mom.
God knew our hearts, and it's amazing how He worked things out for us in the way that He did.


Eventually, 2 1/2 years after we got married, the day arrived that we became debt free. And the blessings kept pouring in. During that same month, the house that we had been trying to buy (it was a bank repo, so the process was slower) finally went through & we became first-time homeowners as well. Then, a few weeks after we moved in, we became pregnant, after trying for 3-4 months (We always seem to get pregnant when we move! lol).

So, we paid off our debt, bought a home, and got pregnant, all in the same month, and in that order. I believe it was all God because it was beyond our power to make all those things happen the way they did, even if we had tried.

One month before my oldest son was born, I was able to quit my job & I have never looked back. I love being a stay-at-home mom and having the chance to homeschool my children. And I know I am right where God wants me to be.


But things didn't always go the way we planned, financially. That nasty debt has a way of creeping back in...

Click here to read part 2 of our financial journey.





PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Caitlin


4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my, what a powerful testimony!!! God has been faithful and you guys were very obedient!!

Denise said...

God bless your dear family.

Wanda said...

Enjoyed reading your testimony.

Cecily R said...

You are an inspiration!

So glad you joined us for PSF this week!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails