Monday, July 19, 2010

Worth Passing Along


A few posts I enjoyed reading this week:


How to Make Things Harder & Do Nothing (Small Notebook for a Simple Home)- This is pretty funny, yet I have to admit is so true sometimes. If you ever tend to procrastinate, you will probably relate to this too.

Craigslist Photo Tip: How to Show Big, Clear Photos So Your Stuff Sells (Small Notebook for a Simple Home)- This was a really helpful tip for me, as we've been selling quite a few things on Craigslist over the past few months. It feels great to get rid of things you don't need that have just been taking up space.

Creating and Preserving Life Margins (Simple Homeschool)- A great reminder to have some family down time and to not fill up every hour of our days with busyness and too many activities. We've really been enjoying a slower pace this summer.

Saying No (A Familiar Path)- Melissa wrote a great post about setting boundaries for her children. We all have our own way of doing things in our own families, but she puts into words something I've been struggling lately to explain. We haven't let my 9-yr old son go to overnight camp yet (only day camp), even though several of his friends have been able to go. He's probably ready, and I think we're getting closer to letting him go, but at least until now, we've chosen against it. It's hard to explain to him (and to others) why we set some of the boundaries that we do, especially when "everyone else is doing it".

Melissa is referring to watching the Twilight movies, but I think it can apply to other situations as well. She said, "I just am for guarding them against some things until they are older.

Kids are bombarded with teenage sexuality so early in seemingly innocent shows like Hannah Montana and iCarly. Sometimes I can’t even put my finger on exactly why I don’t like them watching, I just know I don’t.

I don’t want their young minds on thoughts of boyfriends, love or any other adult situations right now. Right now I want them to be children."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails