Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Just Not My Week


This just hasn't been my week. After a really productive weekend getting most of my school preparations done, I just can't seem to accomplish anything this week. Add to that the fact that it seems there's always someone crying or complaining, along with me having a headache for several days, my energy level has been running low, and I've been feeling overwhelmed.

The hardest thing is we've been dealing with a lot of attitude from my 9-yr old & it's really been getting me down. Constantly arguing with him about his chores, about following directions, about being nice to his brother, about watching how he talks to us, and even about lying is sapping my energy. I think being a parent is so much easier when they're babies & toddlers! It's hard when your child acts unthankful about everything no matter what you do, especially when you're already feeling pulled in so many directions, trying to keep everything going.


Now that August is here, I'm feeling the added pressure of trying to fit in the rest of the fun activities we wanted to do this summer, while still trying to finish up some projects on our list before the busy-ness of school starts up, as well as getting all the school preparations, chore schedules, & routines in place. Whew! No wonder I'm overwhelmed!

I actually really love this time of year, getting organized, the fresh start of a new school year, thinking about new ways of doing things... I think January & August just might be my favorite months of the year! But right now, it's not feeling so fun. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. And impatient. And grumpy. Maybe I should just let some of that stuff on my to-do list go.


I had so much fun yesterday afternoon, spending 3 hours of one-on-one time with my 2-yr old at the pool & sand area. But the entire rest of the day was literally spent arguing with my 9-yr old. The. entire. rest. of. the. day!

So last night, I talked with my hubby about how something needs to change. It seems like we're just not getting through to our son, and we're talking to him about the same things over & over again. Then we remembered that we bought a couple of books at the curriculum fair a few years ago:


We still haven't even used them yet! So we got them out & looked through them & they seem perfect for what we're dealing with right now. Both are written by Pam Forster & published by Doorposts. You can look up a certain character topic like disobedience, laziness, arguing, theft, etc and it points you to a list of verses as well as ideas of things you can have your children do to help them to grow in a Godly manner in that area. I don't know why we haven't been using them all along!

So after realizing that, I've been feeling a lot better. More than anything, I want my son to have a heart that's tender towards the Lord and have the desire to do what's right. We plan to add these books as part of our curriculum for the coming year. I'm excited to get started!

This post is linking up to:
5 Minutes For Mom,
Wordful Wednesday,
Works For Me Wednesday,
Two Of a Kind,
Word-Filled Wednesday,
Tuesday Unwrapped,
Tidy Mom,
Gratituesday


15 comments:

Georgia said...

I hope your week starts going better and those books help!! I am just starting my family, and hope to keep a mental note of those books because I am sure we too will be in need of them at some point!! Happy Wednesday!

Denise said...

Praying for your family.

Dee said...

Poor little guy! Hope it gets better for you..mine has been a little hard too!!

Ozjane said...

Hope you get to spend some more good time with both boys...sometimes the tasks to do can actually wait a bit.
I did not see your verse so can I leave a favorite.
Be still...and KNOW that I AM GOD
also I love
As for God His way is perfect.....He makes my way perfect.

Growing up is a tough job at times and this is a crazy world for kids to adjust to.

SarahinSC said...

I agree that sometimes toddlers are easier to raise than older children. I have a nine-year-old boy too and we deal with the same issues. It can weigh you down, I understand!

skoots1mom said...

prayers for all your concerns
;)

Leonard Family said...

Great post! Your kids are very cute! I've had weeks like those too! I am so happy you talked with your husband & found some books to help talk with your son. Having that united front and books to help ya talk with him are SUPER!! :-) My prayers will be with you!

Rebeca said...

I'm sorry things have been tough. I can relate to the difficulty with the oldest. :> I pray that today you will have some encouragement with him, and in general. Sounds like you need it!

PACountryMouse said...

You are not alone! I am going through a similar phase with my 8 year old. As parents our desire is to raise children with a sense of kindness and a strong moral compass. I've read The Strong Willed Child by Dr. Dobson & found a lot of the suggestions very helpful. I am going to check out the books you listed, as well. Good luck and sending prayers your way!

Jill said...

Sometimes a deep breath and a funny picture help to put things in perspective. Hope the rest of your week goes better.

Mom2fur said...

Aww, sweetie, hang in there! As you know, all kids go through annoying stages. I have 4 (all adults now) and often commented that I was happy that, at least, they didn't all hit the crabby stage at the same time.

Try to catch your son being 'good' and comment on it. Don't gush--kids hate it when you gush. Just off-handedly say, 'thanks for asking nicely' or 'it was kind of you to help me.' Even better, comment to someone else about him when he isn't in the room--but is within hearing distance. Sometimes praising someone to their face doesn't mean as much as letting them hear you say nice things about them to someone else!

Oh, and BTW: No law says you have to do EVERYTHING you planned for the summer!

The Frugal Family Manager said...

Thanks for the prayers & encouragement, ladies. And for listening to me vent! lol Things have been a lot better... only one argument since that day. But for the most part, I can see he's trying & has been getting his school done by 11:30 the past few days. That was NOT happening before.

We've also implemented more consequences, which works much better than arguing with a 9-yr old, & I think he can sense that we're serious about him needing to cut it out. Anyway, thank you!! Will keep you posted on how those books go.

Tiffanee said...

It is a rough time! I have a nine year old also and I spend time arguing with her also. Is it the age?? It will get better!! Following from Friendly Friday!!

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

Good luck with the GIRL!! Girls are the best!! :)
Thanks for linking up. We're following you now!
Tiffany @ HGF

Sent My Way said...

It definitely sounds like your heart and your head are in the right place, and that's what matters. I've found you through a blog hop, but I think I'll keep you nearby, too. I'm glad I found you! I'm your 61st follower, and I hope my blog can offer you some samples or reviews that might help.

Related Posts with Thumbnails