Thursday, August 5, 2010

Our Financial Journey - Part 2

This week, I am continuing on with Part 2 of my family's financial journey. To read Part 1 of our journey, click here.

(Hubby & I with Little J in 2008)

When my oldest son was born, we were debt-free, other than our house payment. It felt really good to know that we had reached our goal of paying off our debt of $20,000. We remained debt-free for over 3 years. I was a stay-at-home mom & we were living on one income. We didn't have a lot, but we had enough. God was providing.

(Big J @ 4 months)

In 2003, we owned 2 vehicles that were paid off, a 30-yr old pickup and a 9-yr old Dodge Neon (which was slowly dying). The Neon was becoming extremely unreliable & constantly breaking down, leaving us stranded (with a toddler in tow). Not a good situation. My hubby spent a lot of time working on the car, fixing each thing as it went wrong. It was costing us a lot of his time, as well as money.

We had been putting up with this for about 3 1/2 years, never knowing when & where we were going to get stranded. It was so frustrating! So we finally decided to trade in the Dodge Neon for something more reliable, and we bought a used mini-van, adding a vehicle payment to the mix. It has never left us stranded, and we still own it today. I love it!

(Big J @ 5 years with van in background)

Then the following year, my hubby decided to sell his 30-year-old pickup for a newer model. I can't say that I blamed him... I sure wouldn't want to drive that thing... it was as old as I was! Add in vehicle payment #2.

(Hubby with his old truck)

(Big J @ 4 years in new truck)

Somewhere in there, we also added in a credit card & began using it occasionally to live beyond our means. Not really the vision we had when we first got married. We were still doing okay, but things were tight. Having debt was really starting to become a burden. Something needed to change...

Check back next week to read Part 3...

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli


10 comments:

Design It Chic said...

I am now following you thanks to New Friend Fridays!It would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog!
Also we have the coolest blog-hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in:) Oh and if you need any help tweaking your blog or easy HTML tips, you know where to come!Happy Friday!

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower!

Cheryl said...

Hi, I just wanted to introduce you to my blog in case you would be interested. I learned to save thousands of dollars a year shopping at CVS and have started a blog to help others learn, too. I try to keep it simple so people can choose how much time to spend. It has helped our budget and gives me lots to share with others. I have never left a comment like this on a blog, but I just felt led to do it after reading your desires to save. Please delete this post if you don't want it here--but I didn't see any way to contact you.

Cheryl @ Simply CVS (cvssimply.blogspot.com)

Andria said...

I am a new follower from I'm Hopping!

Please follow me at http://www.andrialake.blogspot.com

Jennifer Sikora said...

Visiting from Friendly Friday Follow. Be sure and stop by my blog and take a peek. Subcribe by email or RSS so that you don't miss a single post!
www.jennifersikora.com

Ria Thurston said...

Thanks for linking up this week!! I am having so much fun with it :) Thanks for being a faithful follower... I love reading your blog too! Have a blessed weekend!

Margaret said...

I feel like I'm just where you are. I wish my hubby could see that we need to stop living beyond our means!! Thanks for the story!

A new follower, Margaret

JIll said...

I am your newest follower from blog hopping. I am in a simular place. We have our house to pay for and just a small credit card that we usaully pay off monthly. Now that I am staying home we are going to have to work very hard to make it all work.

Stop by if you get a chance.
http://mastersandamom.blogspot.com/

Hazel said...

I can't wait to read the rest. I struggle with debt and look for ways to help curve it! I am a new Friday Follower. Would love for you to come visit me at my blog!

Hazel
Critique of the Unique
http://www.critiqueoftheunique.blogspot.com

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

A great post and enjoyed meeting you....A few hours to blog hop tonight....Love it!
Hope you will stop by for a visit...I am giving away another copy of In a Heartbeat on Monday night...
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/08/have-you-ever-had-to-make-up-your-mind.html
Happy Sunday

Related Posts with Thumbnails